When Two Worlds Collide
The Throwflake® is 50% Christmas-time decoration, 50% shuriken (or “ninja star”), and 100% awesome. We’ve been creating these for the past five years now, but they have only been available as a holiday gift for our partners and friends. We’ve been asked (again and again) to offer these for sale, and so this year it’s on. Make your holiday tree ready for whatever comes down that chimney with the TJB Throwflake® With 6 (very sharp) points and an included lanyard, you'll be sure to get lots of questions about this one.
The Throwflake®: A Quick History.
On a trip to visit a partner in Asia a few years back, some members of the TJB product team were in a conference room for a meeting. Up on the top shelf, in a dusty corner, the product team saw something remarkable: shurikens, or, as they are better known, ninja stars.
There was an immediate desire to make throwing stars. It was innate, and illogical from a business point-of-view, but it also couldn’t be denied. And then the idea struck: we could make them into holiday ornaments. They look like snowflakes, anyway, right? Right!
We called our lawyers to see if this was a good idea. They were unequivocal: no, it was not. But we pressed on anyway, and we asked the lawyers to trademark the thing that we were calling the “Throwflake”, half throwing star, half snowflake. They thought we were joking, but we weren’t. And so, our first trademark was born. Probably could have been something else, but it wasn’t.
A couple of things of note:
- The Throwflake® is sharp and needs to be handled appropriately. Is it “knife sharp”? Nope, but it’s still sharp enough that it can do some damage to a tree in the front yard.
- The Throwflake® is not a weapon, it’s a holiday ornament; please treat it accordingly. Don’t throw it at people (or anything, really). That should go without saying, but the same lawyers who got us the trademark have also made it clear that we should tell you this.
- DHDavid H.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoMaking the tree beautiful and a little dangerous
Very elaborate design and execution. Love having a decoration that looks classy but brings in my love of knives and edc gear
- BHBritt H.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars1 week agoFour sons five stars
Had it not been for DDC I probably never known about these. But I’m a huge fan. Wish I had everyone since day one. Craftsmanship and quality are perfect. My sons enjoy getting them. Thank you James Brand perfect Christmas 🎄 gift! Feliz Navidad!
- SBSamuel B.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoThe first snow flake that mach" s another
Cool look on the tree
- CWCollin W.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoFantastic Limited-Time Item, but OH so impractical in some cases..
It's a shuriken that's also a holiday tree ornament. Yes, it's sharp enough to cut open boxes or stick in the wall if thrown. But if you have little ones in the house, do not hang this up. Thankfully, I don't have kids so I love this item (I still didn't hang it on the tree because I don't trust myself). TJB needs to do offer more great stuff like this.
- RJRon J.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoThe 2023 James Brand Throwflake is beautiful!
I love it! The quality is even better than I've come to expect from the James Brand! It arrived quickly and was up on the tree (high enough where my 7-year old couldn't reach it) in minutes.